about  |   contact   |  join the club  
home forum photo gallery knowledgebase shop club services [login]

What type of license do you need to ride a scooter?

General Articles
Buying a Scooter
Insurance and Legal
Maintenance and Tuning


Author article
club president

Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Knowledgebase: 21
comments: 0
Location: St. Vital
 Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:44 pm

In Manitoba, the license you need to ride a "scooter" depends on the legal classification of the specific scooter make/model.

Some scooters are considered motorcycles and do require a class 6 (motorcycle) license. Other scooters are considered mopeds under the law and require only a valid class 5 (regular car) license.

The legal distinction between a motorcycle and a moped is made based on two primary characteristics:

1. The engine size (under 50cc to qualify as a moped) and

2. The top/maximum speed the bike is capable of (up to, but not exceeding 50km/hr to qualify as a moped).

To qualify as a moped in Manitoba the scooter doesn't have to be equipped with pedals.

Always check with your vendor/dealer or the Department of Driver and Vehicle Licensing (http://www.gov.mb.ca/tgs/ddvl) before assuming the scooter you are buying does not require a motorcycle license.

Rating: 0.00/5.00 [0]

All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  
You cannot post articles in this category
You cannot edit your articles in this category
You cannot delete your articles in this category
You cannot rate articles in this category
You cannot approve articles in this category

You cannot attach files in this category
You can download files in this category
site terms of use | privacy policy

Powered by phpBB . Theme adaptation from mikelothar.com

Excellent webhosting provided by Zenutech